Meet the WWTW Marathon des Sables 2020 team- Ed Parker
In our upcoming series, we are inviting you to meet the elite WWTW team to find out what motivates them, what they are looking forward to and how they are training for the race.
The Marathon des Sables is no easy feat. The event challenges participants to run over 250 km (156 miles) in temperatures reaching 50 degrees, through dunes, salt plains and rocky hills. In addition, they only have 7 days to complete the course.
Meet Ed Parker, WWTW CEO. Ed is an Ex Royal Green Jacket. He completed the MDS in 2016 and is back for more.
1. Why did you sign up to the MdS?
I wanted to do something to celebrate the 10 years of WWTW and it needed to be big!
2. How is your training going – what have you done so far, which milestones have you hit and are you happy with where you are so far?
The training is coming along gently. I am not overdoing things. I have recently spent three days hiking in the Pyrenees, which went well and things seem ok. My focus is building strength and avoiding injuries.
3. What do you see as the biggest challenge?
The heat and hydration. It is all about getting the balance right.
4. What luxuries will you treat yourself to during the MdS?
It is only 6 days so there is no great need for luxuries.
5. What item of food are you taking which is your treat?
Flavour is incredibly important for your own morale. If food tastes bland, it does not do much for the mind, just the body. Therefore, I will take a few dried herbs and chillies to make my food taste better and so I will be able to enjoy it more.
6. What will you be listening to help you through the marathon?
I don’t have a play list yet, but it’ll be diverse from techno to classical.
7. Is there anything that you know you will be looking forward to at the end, before even beginning?
A cold beer, followed by a second cold beer, followed by a third…